Laser eye surgery risks including blindness refer to stuff that cannot be understated. The eye is the most precious organ of your body. And eye area as you all must be aware off is a highly sensitive one. Even if a speck of dust enters your eye area, you can estimate the amount of discomfort it can cause to you as such. A laser eye surgery can be a complicated one indeed. But the good news is this. Laser surgeries are invasive procedures that are done seamlessly. In a sense, these are procedures that need not invariably impact your sensitive eye area. You can also recover from the post-operative effects of laser surgery, pretty much at the earliest.
In this guide, you will be taken through what laser eye surgery is all about. The potential risks associated with the same, including blindness will also be discussed at length.
Come, let us discover what else lies in store as we will go ahead to help you understand the deeper insights into the same:
First things first……
You proceed with invasive laser therapy to correct eye power or help you with enhanced vision. But before that, make sure you have a detailed word with your eye-surgeon or ophthalmologist. You need to understand the potential risks that can occur on account of the same. The American Refractive Surgery Council clearly states that there are no major risks connected with LASIK surgeries. That can lead to untimely blindness. The success rate for this invasive procedure is as high as 96 percent. This means you can put aside all your worries to rest.
Some of the commonly occurring side-effects post the operation include
- Dry eyes
- Halos with light
- Double vision
- Astigmatism and so on
However, if you listen to the instructions of your ophthalmologist carefully, you must be able to return to normalcy. Pretty much at the earliest. Many patients have reported 20/20 vision, post simple eye-correction laser surgeries.
Potential risks including blindness
The American Refractive Surgery Council clearly states that there can be a significant amount of vision loss post a LASIK surgery. This includes even blindness. However, the significant damage or serious after-effects of laser surgeries happen only when you don’t provide adequate care. Post the treatment!
Like if you rub your eyes too much or strain your eyes immediately post eye surgery, you can contemplate vision loss. Vision loss in people, post-laser surgery, cannot be reversed even with additional correction, glasses or lenses. Hence, it is imperative that you choose the right surgeon in the first place. Secondly, you take proper care of your eyes, post the treatment.
Guidelines to be followed post a refractive surgery
These are the basic guidelines or eye care you put up with. Immediately following a laser eye surgery. And these are:
- Put the prescribed eye-drops into your eye region. This needs to be done at regular intervals. You can either put the eye-drops, all by yourself. Else ask someone elderly to put them into your eyes.
- You need to put a complete full-stop to eye-stressing activities like book-reading, TV watching, and computer viewing.
- Avoid using smartphones or mobile phones. The blue screen can cause potential damage to your tenderly treated eyes.
- Give complete rest to your eyes during the post-operative period. This refers to the period immediately following the surgery. Say for instance, if the greater part of the cornea has been altered during the eye surgery, the healing period takes longer. It takes a minimum period of -10 days for you to resume your normal course of activities. These include swimming, contact sports, working, going out in the sun and so on.
- You can listen to soft music to relax your eyes. Else you can listen to religious hymns at this point in time.
Having read the guidelines post an operation, let us look into the pre-operative considerations. These refer to guidelines you comply with, to make yourself eligible for a laser eye surgery.
- You must at least be 18 years of age.
- You need to make sure your corneas are thick enough to work with.
- Commonly performed eye surgeries are used to treat myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (far-sightedness) and re-shape corneas that are more oval-shaped than round. The re-shaping process refers to astigmatism. Cylindrical or spherical corrections can also be done via invasive laser procedures.
- Your pupils must not be too large.
- You need to make sure your eye-health or prescription remains stable. This is at least for a year before you plan, laser surgery on yourself.
- You need to maintain ideal sugar and BP levels. A good health condition promotes faster healing.
- You should avoid playing contact sports. These include playing mobile, video, and computer games.
Improvements made to LASIK procedures
Significant improvements have been made to invasive procedures, including laser treatments. Laser eye surgery risks including blindness have therefore been reduced to the bare minimum. The treatments are highly effective among patients. Most of the patients report enhanced vision or blurred-free viewing post the invasive procedures that have been performed on them. The effectiveness of these surgeries is so good that most people can return to their normal life. That too, within the shortest possible span of time.
With the enhanced improvements made to invasive laser treatments, possible negative side-effects like vision loss or blindness have reduced considerably. LASIK surgery creates a flap near the cornea. This means the eye tissues can be permanently altered or re-shaped by the laser. The surgical procedure is either done using a laser blade or via femtosecond laser. The latter refers to a more sophisticated form of technology used. Here thinner flaps are created and are therefore lesser invasive. The latest femtosecond laser technology therefore promotes zero percent error. The healing time is also much faster.
In this online guide, we have covered end to end aspects of laser eye treatments. The pre-operative procedures, post-operative guidelines and general know-how on how to go about it have been discussed at length. If you wish to undergo a laser eye surgery and have any questions about same, do give us a call right away!